So I know it's been awhile since my last how to post. I've been working hard to get my etsy shop up and running. I made my first Etsy sale last week and while it's good news, I still have a lot of work to do. I have been meaning to do this project for awhile so I figured I share the process, and the results with you. If you decide to try this out be prepared to use a bit of imagination and problem solving, since every piece of furniture is different and some may be more difficult then others. This will at least give you a starting point for a very simple technique to bring new life to an old chair.
I found the chair I'm working on here at the Saint Vincent de Paul Thrift store for $10.00. I thought the design and color went perfect with my newly purchased mid-century dresser from the Broyhill Brasilia collection.
YOU'LL BE NEEDING:
Now you're ready to remove the Upholstery. In my case it was simply attached with staples. I used a Flathead screwdriver and some elbow grease to remove it.
To my surprise there was yet another layer of upholstery fabric under the first so I removed that as well using the same technique.
I discovered some mold in the foam cushion. Rather then throw it out and buy new foam, which I would suggest if you're not on as tight a budget as I am, I washed it in hot water with a quarter cup of bleach to kill any and all nastiness that might have been living in there and I threw out the old fabric. Here's the before and after:
Now begin to wrap the seat in the lining fabric. You don't need many staples for the lining fabric as you are only going to tack it down. work from the center top and bottom, then the center sides. Always place a staple directly across from the staple you've just done to ensure the fabric is evenly stretched on all sides. Neatly fold and tack down the corners.
Now repeat the process using the upholstery fabric. Place the staples no farther then 2 inches apart, working the same way as above. take care at the corners that the top and sides are as seamless as possible.
Now your seat should look something Like this: